Fairphone has launched its latest “sustainable” smartphone, the Fairphone 3.
So what how does this phone pays you? Not much in terms of specs, but you can bask in the glory of owning the most sustainable phone ever, or something of the sort. Clearly, spec sheet freaks will not aim for this one, in a world where the Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro exists and delivers much more for €50 less.
So then it all comes down to how much you care about things like sustainability, a fairer supply chain, employee satisfaction (of the people building the phone for you), responsibly sourced conflict-free materials like tin and tungsten, recycled copper and plastics, Fairtrade gold, combating e-waste in Ghana, and getting a reward for returning your previous phone when you buy a new Fairphone. How much you care, and how much you’re willing to pay extra for these benefits.
The Fairphone 3 contains 7 modules that make repairs easy, and ships in sustainable and reusable packaging, being delivered with its own protective bumper. It has a 5.7-inch 1080×2160 18:9 touchscreen with Gorilla Glass 5 on top, the Snapdragon 632 SoC at the helm, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of expandable storage, and a 3,000 mAh removable battery with fast charging support.
It runs Android 9 Pie and has a 12 MP rear camera and an 8 MP selfie shooter, dual-SIM functionality, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, NFC, as well as 4G network support.
Checkout the full Fairphone 3 specs below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Fairphone 3 Specifications
- 2 Fairphone 3 Price and Availability
- 3 TellForce Blog Buyer’s Guide Verdict
- 4 Fairphone 3 Review Rating
Fairphone 3 Specifications
Wireless Network and Software
- 2G mobile network bands: GSM, GPRS, EDGE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G mobile network bands: UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G mobile network bands: LTE bands 1(2100) / 2(1900) / 3(1800) / 4(1700/2100) / 5(850) / 7(2600) / 13(700) / 20(800) / 26(850). VoLTE + VoWiFi support
- 5G mobile network bands: No.
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- Software / OS: Android 9 Pie
- Announced: September 2019
- Release Date: Sepetember 3, 2019.
Design, Form Factor, Appearance
- Dimensions: 158 x 71.8 x 9.89 mm
- Weight: 189g
- Display: 6.55 inches, 2160 x 1080 pixels, 18:9 aspect ratio, IPS LCD curved glass, with Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
- Colours: Blue Gradient. Tarnish.
- Physical Build: Dark, translucent body and cover. IP54 certification..
Internal Hardware Specs
- Processor Type: 64-bit, 1.8 GHz Octa-core, Cortex-A53
- Processor Name: Qualcomm Snapdragon 632
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 506
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB
- External Storage: microSD
Photography, Video Recording
- Rear Camera: 12MP, f1.8 Aperture, Dual LED flash, Digital Image Stabilization, 4k and 1080p@30fps video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 8 MP, f2.0 Aperture, HDR, Digital Image Stabilization, , 1080p@30fps video capture.
Audio, Video Playback
- Music Support: AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, MP3, WMA (v9, v10), WMALossless, WMAPro 10, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, ALAC, Vorbis, AIFF, APE
- Audio: 3.5 mm headphone audio jack
- Loudspeaker: Stereo speakers
- Video Support: H.264/MP4/MPEG4 player
- FM Radio:
- Digital Compass: Yes.
- Accelerometer: Yes.
- Proximity Sensor: Yes.
- Ambient Light Sensor: Yes.
- Barometer: Yes.
- Pedometer: No.
- Heart Rate Monitor: No.
- Gyroscope (G-Sensor): Yes.
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes; rear-mounted.
- Face Unlock: Yes.
- Iris Scanner: No.
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No.
- Voice Control: No.
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes; Google Assistant.
- Infra-red Sensor: No.
- Bluetooth: v4.2, A2DP
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: microUSB v2.0; USB-OTG
Miscellaneous Specs and Features
- Battery Type and Capacity: Removable Lithium-Ion 3000 mAh
- Battery Charging: 5V/1A Regular Charging
- Reverse Charging: No.
- Model Number: N/A
Fairphone 3 Price and Availability
It’s available for presale already on the company’s own official website, for €450 (N180,000).
It will be in stock on September 3, when it will be offered across Europe by select retailers and operators.
TellForce Blog Buyer’s Guide Verdict
If you want a smartphone that you do not have to replace every 2 years, Fairphone 3 is a proposition for you. Its modular structure make DIY repairs and upgrades easy. And you can buy replacement parts directly from the manufacturer’s website.
Our Buyer’s Guide Verdict is recommendation that we make based on our evaluation the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as TellForce Blog may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.
Fairphone 3 Review Rating
We are yet to review the Fairphone 3 and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about Fairphone 3 are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.